The ILO issued a deeply flawed, misleading and misrepresentative of realities report on the Palestinian territories.
Last month, at the 103rd session of the International Labour Conference, the International Labour Organization (ILO), the UN agency dealing with labor issues, presented their 2014 report on “The situation of workers of the occupied Arab territories.” The report, however, is deeply flawed, misleading and misrepresentative of realities on the ground.
The report puts sole responsibility for the economic hardships, poor working conditions, stalled growth and deteriorating markets of the Palestinian’s economy on the Israeli “occupation.” The report echoes the President of the Palestinian Authority Mahmoud Abbas, who proclaims, with simplicity, “The economic situation is really difficult, and the main reason is the Israeli occupation.”
- The ILO report holds only one party responsible for “Barriers to economic development in the West Bank” — Israel.
- The report blames Israel for the “Deepening of Gaza’s six-year siege [which] paralyses [the] economy.”
- In a section titled “Rising tensions and violence,” the report discusses in depth violence against Palestinians throughout the West bank. This includes discussions of:
- “Violent acts and intimidation by Israeli settlers against Palestinians and their property.”
- “Serious concerns are being expressed that occupation and settler activity is leading to a dangerous culture of impunity.”
- “In addition to settler violence, there is a worrying trend of violence linked to confrontations between Israeli armed forces and Palestinians.”
- “A recent United Nations report notes that Israeli settlement-related activities and settler violence are at the core of most of the violations of human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territory, including the right to freedom of movement, work, health, education, housing and an adequate standard of living (UN, 2014b).”